top of page
Importance of Air Quality


About 99% of the air we breathe consists of two main gases – Nitrogen and Oxygen. The remaining 1% comprises argon, carbon dioxide, helium, neon, and other aerosols in the atmosphere.  

If any of these gases becomes significant and measurable, the air quality becomes poor and can pose many dangers. 

Air pollution isn't limited to rising carbon dioxide levels and isn't only an outdoor menace. In fact, the concentration of indoor pollutants can be up to five times higher than outdoor concentration. 

Interior air quality can reduce when you open your doors and windows and let in polluted outdoor air containing pollen, smoke, and dust. 

Fresh paints, cleaning products, and new furniture can result in aerosols in the atmosphere, polluting the air. 

Simply put, air quality reduces when the air contains foreign particles and gases. 

But why does it matter? Why is air quality important? 

Here it is.

Low Air Quality is Poor Health

Low air quality is one of the most significant environmental risks to health. Short-term effects of poor air quality include upper respiratory infection, headaches, allergic reactions, nausea, aggravates asthma, eye, throat, and nose irritation. 

If measures aren't put in place to improve air quality, more severe health conditions such as birth defects, chronic respiratory diseases, skin cancer, lung cancer, heart diseases, etc., might surface. 


Because symptoms of ailments caused by poor air quality are often similar to those of viruses, many people overlook low air quality as the cause. 

To reduce the effect of low air quality on your health, set your vehicle's air conditioning system to recirculate the internal air rather than draw in polluted outdoor air. 

Also, where total avoidance isn't possible, avoid prolonging the inhalation of tobacco, wood smoke, and exhaust gases. 

With clean air free of particles and harmful gases, the risk of developing respiratory illness and chronic conditions reduces considerably.

Negatively Impacts the Economy

The dangers of low air quality are far-reaching, impacting the economy negatively. According to research, offices with low air quality can reduce employee productivity by up to 50%. 

And due to its harmful effect on people's health, there's an increase in lost work and medical bills. 


The agriculture sector is also hit as yields are damaged, resulting in revenue loss, scarcity, and increased prices of produce.

Effects on the Environment

Air pollution also has detrimental effects on the environment. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are depleting the earth's ozone layer, and Carbon dioxide (CO2) is one of the main gases causing climate change. Ozone gas also enters plants through the stomata, interfering with their photosynthetic abilities and making them susceptible to diseases.

Taking Up the Fight. Be More Air Aware

The importance of excellent air quality cannot be overstated. As individuals, we must take action to reduce air pollution and improve air quality. 

The first step to achieving this is monitoring the aerosols in the atmosphere to identify the levels and type of pollution by using air quality monitors. 

At Distributed Sensing Technologies, our range of ObservAir® units is designed to provide accurate air quality data in real-time. 

We also offer consulting services on air quality monitoring projects. Get in touch with us today!

bottom of page